Johanna Thomas lead the meeting last Tuesday.She had provided kits and demonstrated how we could achieve a very good result of making a fabric brooch. I was so busy going around and asking members to fill in the Statement of Intent for our forthcoming exhibition that i was unable to stitch.What a nice surprise when Pauline and Jackie assembled my fabrics leaving me just a few beads to attach to the middle. What good friends at the Guild.
NEWSLETTER –May 2014
News and Competitions
The Rose Bowl competition titles are “Something Old, Something New” for 2015 and “Under the Sea”, for 2016.
The members’ challenge for 2015 is “All that Glistens”.
There is a new book in the library; “Experimental Textiles” by Kim Thittichai.
Exhibitions and Events
- Lucinda Allwood is running a ribbon workshop at the Friends Meeting House in Silverwell Street, Bolton, on Thursday 5th June & possibly Wednesday 11th June, from 10 – 3.00pm; cost £20 includes all materials. Buffet lunch to order £4.00.
Call Lucinda (07977821119) or ask Brenda Cooper for further information.
· Ten Plus Textiles have an exhibition of contemporary textile art at The Old Parsonage, Stenner Lane, Didsbury, M202RQ, May 31st- June 15th. Open everyday 9.30-5.30.
· Platform Gallery, Clitheroe, have an Open Craft Exhibition, work is in various media including textiles, 3rd May -12th July.
· Southport Art Trail and Open Studios 24thMay – 8th June; lots of demonstration and workshops see www.sca-arts-trail.co.uk.
· Cumberland Branch workshop by Lynda Monk, “Mixed Media Medley”; Saturday 31 May 10.30.-3.30pm. contact Gill Goodfellow 01228 530648l or email email@example.com
· Flower Pounding with Linda Rudkin, at Parbold Village Hall; 15th June 10-4.00pm. Cost £18 to EG members £20 visitors. Contact Susan Chisnall 01772 46714 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. See notice board for list of requirements.
· Art Deco in Stitch The Phoenix Textile group will show work with their own take on Art Deco and art of the Jazz Era. April 12th- June12th at Towneley Hall, Burnley. 01282 477130 or email email@example.com
· One day event at Gawthorpe Hall, Explore the Collection: Vibrant Victorians.
Thursday 22nd May from 10 – 3.30pm. Cost £32.50 booking essential contact Jenny Waterson- firstname.lastname@example.org
· The Storey, Lancaster. Summer Exhibition; “Tied by Stitch”. May26th – June21st. Includes “The Finest Stitches”, part of the EG textile collection and work by members of the North West Region, plus a display of regional projects and the World’s Longest Embroidery. Workshops will also be held and Elizabeth Cousins Scott will be giving a lecture on June 7th (see notice board for more details). Stewards are needed- please see Val if you are able to help.
N.B. More details of the above events are on the notice board.
Next month we have Jackie Cardy with - “Obsessed by Threads”.
Bring your entry for the Pearl Exhibition to the next meeting in June or to the summer meal at Ridgemont. Categories include: Inspired by the museum; Pearl; and an Open category for work produced within the last 2 years.
We do need volunteers to do demonstrations at the exhibition, see Clare if you can offer your time.
Ann is in need of handmade Get Well or open greeting cards for sending to members if you have any to spare. If you have any items for the Sales Table please see Jackie Martin. Jackie also needs clear envelopes (like the ones cards come packed in) if you have any please keep them and pass them on.
Raffle prizes are always welcome. Please see Barbara Ryall if you have anything. If there are any library books you think would be suitable for us, please tell Sheelagh Madden. (An ISBN would be helpful)
If you hear of any interesting exhibitions or events that you think may be of interest, please let Brenda Brown know and details can go on the newsletter.
Don’t forget our blog address for Bolton EG is http://begstitchers.blogspot.com/ .
Also just a reminder that the Guild web address is www.embroiderersguild.com
The Northwest blog address is http:/email@example.com