I bet you have been missing me!!! Happy New Year, I do hope you had enjoyable festivities. We had an amazing view from my catservatory of the fireworks on NYEve….i should have sold tickets!!! I loath this snow and have hardly ventured out, but off very soon to see how Norway deals with the situation.
Our Branch year began last week with a visit from Sharon Blakey, Her talk and also her website was called Mary Mary Quite Contrary so I had no idea about the topic. However if was fascinating. Mary was a very emancipated woman who had a very eclectic collection of everyday objects. Sharon developed her talk, explaining how she,Sharon, a potter worked with a weaver, What an unusual combination but it really worked. Definitely coming out on a bleak and snowy night.
This final photo shows the collaboration between a woven runner and pottery spoons. I am afraid that this snap does not do it justice. I had a friend staying so did not want to leave very late but as we walked to the car park we realised that we were in trouble. To cut a long story short, there were 7 cars unable to drive up the very low gradient entrance. Phil did his best and cleared the slope of snow but the ice was still there. Finally a young man appeared[without his white charger] but with some salt.He has heard our attempts and was a local,used to the car park. Some pushing, a lot of finger crossing and finally I was the last to leave the car park. Our” Knight” wanted nothing but our thanks but we intend to deliver a bottle to thank him.
News and Competitions
The Rose Bowl competition titles are “Something Old, Something New” for 2015 and “Under the Sea”, for 2016.
The members’ challenge for 2015 is “All that Glistens”. Closing date for entries is Friday 30th January.
Northwest region Broderers’ Cup (for October AGM)
Exhibitions and Events
· Fashion Embroidery & Stitch 19-22 (Thurs- Sun) March at the NEC Birmingaham.
· Sewing for pleasure – dates and venue as above.
· HobbyCrafts - also as above. Tickets cover all three events- senior £9.50 in advance or £15.00 for 2 day ticket. See details www.ichevents.co.uk
· The Spring Knitting and Stitching Show 5-8th March. Olympia, Central London. More information at www.theknittingandstitchingshow.com/spring
· The Stitching Sewing & Hobbycrafts show 6-8 February 2015 at Events City, Manchester. Advance ticket prices: senior £7.00 ;Adult £8.00 with free entry to CAKE International –The Sugarcraft, Cake Decorating & Baking Show.
· Talk by Richard Box on 20th February at 7pm, at the Quaker Meeting House, 22 School Lane, Liverpool. L1 3BT. (£3.00 to members).
· Next year’s NW Regional Day will be held by Chelford and North Cheshire EG. Details of speakers on the notice board. Tickets going on sale in January.
· Sreepur Village film on BBC2 Scotland but if you’ve got Sky it is on chanel 970 on January 29th at 8pm.
· Jacob’s Feast- Saturday24th at Banktop Church- food, activity and fun!
· February’s meeting is being led by Jackie and involves making a small landscape, this is your list of requirements:
brown threads, needles and a small frame but if you wish it can be worked in the hand. Jackie will supply a kit at a small charge.
If you have any items for the Sales Table please see Jenny Whittle. Jenny also needs clear envelopes (like the ones cards come packed in) if you have any please keep them and pass them on. Would anyone like to help Jenny, if so let us know.
Raffle prizes are always welcome. Please see Barbara Ryall if you have anything. If there are any library books you think would be suitable for us, please tell Sheelagh Madden. (An ISBN would be helpful)
If you hear of any interesting exhibitions or events that you think may be of interest, please let Brenda Brown know and details can go on the newsletter; firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t forget our blog address for Bolton EG is http://begstitchers.blogspot.com/ .
Also just a reminder that the Guild web address is www.embroiderersguild.com
The Northwest blog address is http:/email@example.com