Sunday, July 22, 2012

Summer School July 12

Jennifer B and I have just returned from another amazing summer school at Alston Hall. We were both in the same class, Stump work , lead by Nicola Hulme.  I was not sure what to expect and was quite daunted when I saw her display. However , Nicola is an enthusiastic and patient teacher and we were inspired. There were only 8 of us in our group  and we all decided to try to learn as many techniques as reasonable. By co incidence we all created similar backgrounds on which to put our pieces. I began with a leaf…it took ages…..in fact the whole evening……but it was rather large. The following morning I began a flower and then a spider. I made more leaves, far less complicated but quite effective.  I loved both making and the results from my blackberry.When I arrived home this evening I decided that the balance of the picture was OK and that it did not need  to add any more pieces.011

039

041

Jennifer's work is the in the middle of the middle photo. Nicola is coming to lead a day school for us in June,ribbon work. Book your place as soon as possible!!!!

Summer school is a lovely weekend. We work hard but also play hard. There is time to sit and chat with the many friends that you make. I can hardly believe that I was in the room this morning at 7.55 am.  but I needed extra time to compensate for the time i spent in selling raffle tickets. The other tutors were Sheila Smith ,leading work on felting and Janet Browne who helped members to devise a journey in applique and stitch.Their students all raved about their tutor and the work that they were able to personally achieve.

Tutors for next years summer school have been announced.Check them out on the web site. I cant yet make up my mind what to choose but I have until Xmas to decide. Applications due in early January2013. Come and join us.

No comments:

Post a Comment