Almost thirty years ago, one of the first day schools that I attended was about needle lace[do you remember, Jackie?} Diane Derbyshire came to our meeting last Tuesday to talk about Rachel Kay Shuttleworth and her amazing collection. Sadly Diane could not bring along the actual work, but was able to photograph each of the pieces. Perhaps more poignant were the cards that had been handwritten and coded by Rachel herself. In addition to this slide show, Diane brought along a display of her won needle lace. She has won international awards and made my small samples look quite insignificant. The talk was very nostalgia for me as I recognised several pieces of lace that we had used in the Lace collection challenge a couple of years ago. I spotted my lace and the finished piece is now on the wall in my cat servatoty.
NEWSLETTER – APRIL 2014
The Northwest Regional Day is being held in Rochdale on Sunday April 27th. We have 6 members going who will be representing our branch. If you would like to order a journal (available at this event for £2.00) please see Brenda Brown.
EXHIBITIONS & EVENTS
- Rubina Porter has sent a list of dates for The Streepur Village Exhibitions until November. The first of these dates is at St Barnabus Church, Penny Lane, L18 from 24th -29th march.
From 18th- 20th August it can be seen at Liverpool Town Hall.
- Fashion Revolution Day 24th April –it’s 12 months since the Rana Plaza collapsed in Bangladesh so wear your clothes inside out today! (see notice board).
- Gawthorpe textile events and workshops happening throughout the summer until September. See notice board for details. To book an event contact tel- 01282 773963 or email email@example.com
- Ten Plus Textiles – “Now and Then”, showing at Didsbury Parsonage M202RQ from Sat 31 May-Sun 15 June. See notice board for contact details. Contact – www.tenplustextiles.com
- One Step on textile group are running a 2 day course in Carnforth with Sandra Meech 1-3 August. See notice board for details.
- Craft Open Exhibition at The Platform Gallery, Clitheroe. Exhibition dates 3rd May – 12th July. Email- PlatformGallery@ribblevelley.gov.uk
- Joana Vasconcelos a textile artist has a world premier of her exhibition “Time Machine,” which is exclusive to Manchester and includes an especially commissioned piece for the Atrium. It also devours the other galleries at Manchester City Gallery, Mosely Street, Manchester. From February – June 1st.
Charges for workshops will in future be £15.00 for members and £20.00 for non- members.
A Play Day is scheduled for 26th April at Banktop Church. Please bring a packed lunch. Tea & coffee will be provided
Ann is in need of handmade Get Well or open greeting cards for sending to members if you have any to spare. Jackie Martin’s store has been depleted so if you have any items for the Sales Table please see her a.s.a.p. Jackie also needs clear envelopes (like the ones cards come packed in) if you have any please keep them and pass them on.
Raffle prizes are always welcome. Please see Barbara Ryall if you have anything.
If there are any library books you think would be suitable for us, please tell Sheelagh Madden. (An ISBN would be helpful).
If you hear of any interesting exhibitions or events that you think may be of interest, please let Brenda Brown know and details can go on the newsletter; email- firstname.lastname@example.org
The new Northwest blog address is http://email@example.com/
Don’t forget our blog address for Bolton EG is http://begstitchers.blogspot.com/ .
Also just a reminder that the Guild web address is www.embroiderersguild.com